Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Thursday, February 27, 2014

The words I hate

Can't. Can Not. Impossible. Not feasible. Unlikely. These are all words that as an amputee I have grown to hate. Once you have a limb removed society has an entire list of things that you "can't" do. Ask an amputee, I assure you they have a list of things they can no longer do. Not because they don't want to, but because it has been told to them that they can't.

I bring this up because I've been doing a lot of research on the upcoming Paralympic Games. I'm lucky enough to know a dual paralympian; she is an olympic rower (who won the bronze medal) and this March, competing in the biathlon in Sochi. She is also a bilateral above knee amputee. Can't isn't in her vocabulary. Luckily for her, it wasn't in her families dictionary either. This is the difference maker. Do the people you surround yourself with fill you with doubt or with support? I've been blessed enough to have an army of supporters. I was also raised to believe that anything was possible. My stepfather beat the phrase "Can't never could no nothing" into my head. Aside from giving you grammer nazi's a heart attack, it meant that if I said I can't do something, it just meant it was hard and I didn't want to. Like Yoda said, Do or Do Not, there is no try. That has become part of my core philosophy. I have realized that being an amputee just requires me to take alternate paths to the same goals. It may take me longer, I may have set backs, and I will get frustrated. That's allowed, you can get upset, you can get mad, you can throw a pity party and wonder why me?, but quitting is not an option. Have your moment, then dust off and get back to work.

This is where I am at now, I've had my set backs, I'm ready to dust off and get back to work. With my new socket finally being framed, and set to be delivered, I have a new breath of air. I'm hopeful for the future. I'm not sure where I will land, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but that's the exciting part. I have an open road ahead and with Kate and the kids by my side I'm ready for a new adventure to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment