Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 Confusion

I'm confused...those that know me know that this isn't necessarily a new onset of confusion, but a long drawn out process that seems to be exacerbated by my unemployment. Here is my dilemma. I'm about to turn 32 years old, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I have all these grand dreams, but have no idea how to start making them come to fruition. I want to be a paramedic, but I have come to realize that this is only a short term solution to a long term problem. While I am physically capable of performing the tasks required of me right now...I'm not sure I can continue in this line of work for another 20 years. EMS is a profession where, even with a perfectly healthy body, lasting an entire career without a crippling injury has become an oddity. The rising use of emergency rooms as personal physicians has placed an overwhelming burden on an already strained system, resulting in a physical demand on the street level emt/paramedic that cannot be maintained.

This leaves me with my dreams. I hope that I can turn these into a reality. I am trying to figure out how to start a career as a motivational speaker (although I hate that term). I want to spread the message to anyone who will listen that debilitating injuries and chronic illnesses are not the death sentence they appear to be. If I have learned anything from my amputation, and the amazing people I have met as a result, is that the only limits you have are those you place on yourself. I have realized while searching for a new full time job, that I get extremely offended when people place limitations on me due to my prosthetic. Recently, I was speaking to a friend about a job, one that requires walking on uneven terrain, sometimes for long distances, and immediately was greeted by the chorus of "you can't do that, you need another option, etc..."

I am going to make this a short post tonight. I plan on getting back into writing on this blog more, one of my many resolutions for the year.

Until next time...
PM

No comments:

Post a Comment