Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Just a friendly reminder from your crippled leg...I don't work!!!! But she does

My body decided to give me a reminder why I am having this amputation today. This day has been full of falls and pain. I had the distinct pleasure of scaring the bejeezus out of my fiance today. For those who only know me through this blog, currently I get around on a cane, very slowly, but I manage to get by. The destructed joint that barely holds my leg together decides to give out on me almost daily. Today it decided to surprise me by going out while carrying my son's birthday cake into the house. It was one of the those times when I'm walking extra carefully, then all of the sudden, "DOWN GOES FRAIZER!!!" Some how, either luck of the Irish or heavenly intervention, I managed not to ruin my son's cake. At this point, I'm guessing some of you are asking why I was carrying the cake and not my fiance'. The reason being that she is still in immense pain and fatigued after having her surgery as well. We are currently one broke down household, but ever the trooper she is returning to work tomorrow. She works on the ambulance as well, we are a full truck everywhere we go. She's an EMT and I'm the Medic...

She has been amazing throughout all of this. She was there when I fell, she was at the hospital everyday, she has seen me through the trials and troubles this injury has caused. When I came home with the external fixator she was there to clean the pins jabbing out of my skin, 8 of them to be exact. She has been at nearly every doctor's appointment, seen me at the highest highs (walking on a cane for the first time since I fell),  to the lowest lows (the deep depression associated with coming to terms that you have to give up an appendage in order to get your life back).  I have no clue what I would do without her. She is my driving force to get back on the truck. A former combat medic, she has experience working with amputees, so the thought of marrying a one legged man doesn't bother her. Living proof that there is someone for everyone. She is currently looking for a second job in order to help us make ends meet while I'm off work, in return I've promised to walk down the isle after the surgery. I think I'm getting the better end of this deal.

Just hope things work out. I mean put yourself in my shoes, one minute things are going great, you're newly engaged and spending a day out with your newly expanded family. 8 months later, you're looking at losing a leg, your job, your way of life, your home, and the only sure things you have are your family and the love of you life. I've put a lot on her, but I know that even after all I've put her through she loves me more every day. Just food for thought, tonight think about it, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I'm curious to see the responses, please leave some comments. I'll talk to you guys later...11 days till the Prosthetic Medic transformation begins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment