Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

ADA and A little more time

So I turned in my American's with disabilities act paperwork, just as I was "ordered" to do, also, since I know that I am being terminated in May I decided to see if public opinion will sway things with the Mayor. I had emailed him and asked for a private one on one discussion a few weeks ago and received no response from him or his office. So, that's why I decided to go ahead and post his contact information here. I'm sure it will fall upon deaf ears, especially since many of the posts have been promptly deleted from his Facebook and Twitter pages already. I'm am resigned to my fate, but if I didn't try everything possible to stay on at the service I love then I would have a regret, and honestly going through this has made me realize I don't want to have any regrets. The cities rule states that you have one year to return to work, technically I returned to work in October, albeit on modified duty, I wasn't acting as a paramedic other than I was reading EKG's from cardiac arrests. The issue I have is there seems to be a grey area here. I've heard of some people getting a year to return from the day they started modified duty, while others from the day they first went off injured if they didn't return to full duty. My physical therapist and physician both agree that I should be ready for full duty by August if I continue on with the progress I'm making now. I can't rush my body anymore than I already am. It just isn't physically possible. I refuse to return to the job just to injure myself, or worse, injure a patient or my partner because I wasn't physically ready to do the job. So, I'm throwing my Hail Mary pass, I've followed their rules, and now I'm just going to continue to work at getting myself back into fighting shape and I will return to work...somewhere.

So, for those from Metro Government that read this (I know some of you do), give me the chance. I'm going to continue to be a paramedic, I hope that you will give me the chance to continue my career with you. If not then, I will save my goodbyes for when the time comes. Thank you all for messaging the Mayor, hopefully a few get through and he gets the chance to read them. Thank you all for helping me out, and I promise I will continue to fight to get back. Ah well, tomorrow is another day and I will get stronger and one day closer to the freedom of walking unassisted. I guess I'll see where the ADA form goes and continue on living life and working toward my goal.

Again, Thank you all...I have another surprise coming, but it's still a few weeks out. More to come

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment