Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Monday, February 27, 2012

First Steps

Here it is. My first steps...It's far from graceful, I'm wearing mismatched shoes, and it's not the prosthetic I will be using, but I was able to walk and stand. The weirdest thing was I could almost feel my feet touching the ground. It gives me some hope towards the future and a glimpse of things to come. The knee I will be getting will keep me from buckling while I walk, and I'll be able to tackle steps and other obstacles. It was wonderful that Kate was there to see this, even better when my prosthesist had her wait for me at the end of the isle, just to prove I can make it down an isle...he's a comedian that one. OK..I'll write more later.

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great Joe. Welcome to the world of amps...not all the megastar life it's cracked up to be! This is why they pay us the big bucks. :-) Hang in there. My Otto Bock is a bargain-basement model, hydraulic, nothing to stop me from falling except my reflexes--it's a Yugo compared to the Genium Lamborghini...but I'm just glad to walk even when I bitch. Remember--things are only hard the first thousand times you do them. Take care--
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! JOE!!! You are doing it! I am soooooo proud of you! I literally cried like a baby when I saw this! You will be back on mandatory overtime in Portland before you know it! YAY! I can't believe you have come so far so fast, but I know it doesn't feel like it's been fast! Keep doing it brother, you ARE the stuff movies are made of! Hmmm...coming to a theater near you..."Prosthetic Medic, the Joe Riffe Story." I would pay good money to see that! :) I will donate Thursday after I get paid. Let me or Sean know if there is anything else we can do! We both are in awe at your strength and how humble you are. Stick it out!
    Faye Johnson

    ReplyDelete