Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Your Voice Changes Things...Oh and 30,000 views!!!

Wow...I've had this site up for about 3 months and I'm up to over 30,000 page views. This got me thinking about voice. We all have a voice, we use it for many things, good, bad, and indifferent. I've been lucky enough that I have been able to reach more people than I have ever thought possible. I've been blessed enough to achieve most of my goals, all of which, have been accomplished because when I needed your help and asked, you were there. I needed the Genium leg, thanks to the outpouring of support from the people who read this blog I was approved directly by Humana, which prior to my case was unheard of. I want you to know, this is changing the way Humana is doing business and they are approving others for the Genium and other microprocessor prosthetics. We used our voices and have changed the world for many others in my position who haven't had these opportunities. I needed more time to return to work, once again I asked you to use your voice, and today I received a letter in the mail confirming my medical leave extension through August 31st. There is so much power in speaking out. We can change the world with our voices. I once disbelieved that the "little guy" could ever change the minds of large companies or government agencies, this has proved me wrong and given me so much hope for the future. One approval, changed the system for many others. One extension, changed my life and allowed me to keep that all important insurance. So for 30,000 views, changing the lives of myself and possibly countless others,  One word spoken in love or hate or compassion can alter an entire course of events.

Now, on to the main point. Your voice sometimes is all you have. This experience has taught me that you can speak up or refuse to speak and both can equally change worlds. Moreover, I've been mulling the thought of the EMS 2.0 movement, which I recently learned about, and how this affects us as a profession. Quick primer for those who are uninitiated as I was to this ideology, the quick way to describe it is attempting to make EMS more than a job, make it a career, change patient care standards to reflect our high level of training, and use evidence based medicine to move EMS to the cutting edge of true prehospital care. Now, this is an area where we as a profession need to use our voices, Nurses, Firefighters, Police officers, they all have a voice and a loud one. They have representation on a national level. We need to stop the in-house bickering, City, Volunteer, Private service, we all have the same training and deserve the same rights. Use your voice to change things, one word can change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment