Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Kids say the darndest things....

Attempted going out on my own today. Just got out and drove and went into a store or two. Not to shop, just trying to learn how to move around on the crutches and dealing with the gawking from strangers. One of the more amusing things today was a little girl, probably 7 or 8 years old, saw me hopping on my crutches and exclaimed loudly "What happened to you!!!" Her mother was mortified of course. I found it cute, I just told her I was in a bad accident and her mother rushed her away. This is what amazes me about children. They say what they see and if they have a question they are going to ask. This is a fresh change from the strange glances and whispered words from adults. Why is it that we are afraid to ask questions, but we are quick to pass judgement silently. The innocence of children is amazing and Bill Cosby is correct, they do say the darndest things. I'm sure my absentee limb was the topic of conversation inside the car on the way home.

This is a welcome change from my second experience with an outspoken person today. I was using one of those motorized carts at a store and yes, it was slow, but move around me. Instead this lady decided to walk behind me talking about how this grown man was using this cart when someone else could, then realizing I was missing a limb, chose to describe me as a cripple who should get out of her way. Of course there were some other choice words peppered in, so I decided to stand up for myself, actually this just included standing up and her realizing that she is 5 foot nothing and I'm 6 feet tall with one foot off. She cowered and ran away. I just don't understand people. I didn't have to say anything, and hopefully she will choose better battles in the future.

No news on the prosthetic front or work front yet. Still waiting these answers. This is the hardest part...I'm not a very patient person, so I really hate waiting. I have another week before the staples come out. I've started my PT and it's going very well. I'm getting stronger and can't wait till I'm learning to use that prosthetic and I am going to become the Prosthetic Medic. It's going to happen. I am going to make this work. Till tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. Liz Heywood aka (joke!!) One-Leg LizFebruary 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

    Love the hospital pic! Good for you. It's funny how honest kids are & adults just freak or want to muzzle their children. You're going to be educating a lot of people.

    Hey--check out the DVD "Murderball" about wheelchair rugby. Those dudes pay rough--they're already broken their necks & don't have much to lose! It's a riot. It's on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If i were you i would get one of those Super charged Motor carts and run over the next Rude person. Although i Am 13 years old so like you said about us kids we speak how we feel and this is how i feel about rude's and i really enjoy reading you're blogs they really inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe...the great thing is...YOU don't have to make this work. Just let the Lord work and have faith that HE is gonna make it work for you. Proud of you man. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete