Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Country boy can survive

Walked on a treadmill today for the first time. That's the advantage of my physical therapist being an instructor at Bellermine. It was good to feel the knee really work and I'm getting to the point where I can identify the changes I need made to let the knee be optimal for me. I'm coming to terms with the changes that are quickly approaching. Part of that was a chance encounter with an amputee that lost his leg over 40 years ago. He saw me on the news and as I was leaving pt he stopped to speak with me. He was amazed thatvi was wearing shorts and wasn't wearing some sort of cosmetic cover over the prosthesis. I guess I just have the attitude that you're either going to take me as I am or you can get over it. This is me now. I'm finally ok with that. I can look at myself in the mirror with and without the leg and realize that a leg didn't make me who I am. The great part is he said maybe he'd try shorts again. I miss my former life but I see the potential to change the world since the surgery. How many people can really say they feel that way?

Now I just have to regain the feeling of being useful. I fight self doubt and depression constantly. I am your classic country boy, I take my emotions and bury them until they either force their way out or I find

No comments:

Post a Comment