Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Learning to Walk

Been walking a lot today. Had the chance to walk a little using just a cane. I am not able to stay on it for long periods of time yet, the more the pain increases my gait gets sloppy and I don't want to form bad habits. I'm going in to the prosthetic office tomorrow to have some more changes made. My leg is hurting and I'm not able to keep the socket attached in the back. This has made walking more painful since the prosthetic pulls down and grabs the skin. I was not prepared for the weight of the leg itself. It weighs about 35-40 pounds, so as you can imagine, when the leg gets tired it feels like I'm lugging around a ton of bricks. I know I have to build up my stamina with the leg and with this will come the strength to start walking without assistance. Patience has never been a virtue of mine, but thankfully persistence is. My goal is to just keep building on each day, if I can take 4 steps today, I want to take 8 tomorrow. I'm ready to keep fighting through this and I will keep you updated on my progress as I battle towards getting back on the ambulance.

No comments:

Post a Comment