Thanks to all that have helped!!!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hurts so good

First off, I want to thank everyone for your support. Every time I have had a period of doubt or some self-loathing, you have all been there with some encouraging words. So thank you all. I also want to thank Humana and Louisville Metro Government for making this possible. Humana is taking a chance by approving me and I will prove that this technology is wonderful for many of us. If they see I'm progressing well maybe they will change the policy to allow many others to benefit from this technology.

Today I ran errands on the new leg. I'm still using the crutches to help bear some of the weight and a safety net of sorts. I've noticed that I have some pain after wearing it for a couple of hours. The thing that is most discouraging to me right now is that I am unable to put all my weight on my stump. I'm not strong enough to hold all my weight on it and that makes it feel weak. I don't know how long it will take to get that feeling to go away or how to build the strength required to do so, I guess that's why I'll be having PT. On a funnier note, my feet are so big they had to special order another foot for the prosthetic. It seems not many amps have a size 14/15 foot. So, now I'm waiting on my new foot, but I can still use the one provided currently. It felt great to stand in a crowded elevator and not have anyone staring or whispering about my lack of a leg. The boost of self confidence that has come with this leg is amazing. For the first time in a long time I feel like I can be normal again. Well, my dark and twisty version of normal. Later this evening I begin my physical therapy and I'm ready. I'm looking forward to the pain, because for the first time in months, pain is going to equal progress. Finally I can look at the pain I'm in and know that because of this pain I will be able to return to who I am. I get to return to being that cocky self confident person I know is still inside of me. I just have to find a way to get him back out to the surface. I'll update later about how physical therapy went.

No comments:

Post a Comment